It is something that workers everywhere have to think about – what happens if you are in an accident on the job through no fault of your own? What do you do? How will you pay for your medical bills, and will you be compensated for time you will be missing from work?

A lot of this is covered thanks to the fela law, which is there to protect employees who are injured on the job. However, it is still important to know which options are available to you if you are ever hurt on the job.

What do I do if I’m injured at work?

First of all, if your injury was something which required medical attention, then it would be wise for you to go see a doctor immediately and get him or her to fill out an injury report detailing what happened, where the pain occurred, how severe it is and so on.

fela law

After you’ve done this, head over to human resources and let them know what has happened – they will also help by referring you to whatever worker’s comp counselor is available.

If you do need to head back to work because of a lack of staff, then be sure to bring ibuprofen or other painkillers with you in case the pain gets too bad.

When should I call my lawyer?

If your injury is serious enough that you will be out of work for more than a week or so, it would be wise for to hire someone who specializes in workers’ compensation law to help make sure everything goes smoothly and that you get what you deserve. There are many attorneys available for hire online; just type “workers comp attorney” into your search engine for some recommendations. A good attorney can also help make sure that everything gets done in time – and that you get the compensation you deserve.

Hopefully, you never have to go through an injury at work. If you do, though, it is always nice to know that you have options available to you to help you get the compensation you need so you don’t miss out on being able to pay your bills due to lack of pay.

Read More